Halloweekend is finally here and it’s time to get wicked. Whether you’re queuing up in line outside of your favorite bar, throwing your own party, checking out a haunted house, or curling up with a scary movie, it’s essential you do it in some sort of Halloween fashion. It’s up to you to decide if you go all-out in costume, or just spruce up your look with some spooky accessories and witchy patterns. Me? I like to balance my nights out with a mixture of both.
For a casual dinner/drinks with a possible ‘going out’ scenario, you’ll catch me in this outfit: a deep-cut celestial bodysuit, my comfiest pair of black jeans, a pair of sassy patent leather mary-janes, and a hint of Halloween with my vintage devil bag I found on Poshmark (which I’m obsessed with).
Still, I can’t say no to a costume party when the opportunity arises! As I am a big supporter of DIY costumes (fun fact: I’ve never been in a Spirit of Halloween pop-up store), here are a few go-to costumes you can easily throw together last-minute with pieces you already have in your closet:
- Betty Cooper + Jughead // Veronica + Archie: For all my Riverdale friends out there, this is one of the easiest couples costumes you can make. For Betty, throw on a pair of jeans, collared shirt, grey sweater, cut out a yellow crown, slap that baby onto your shirt, slick your hair back into a ponytail and call it a day! Veronica may be a bit fancier, but a LBD, pumps, pearls, and an overuse of ‘Daddy’ and ‘Archiekins’ will get you into character. For the guys, a leather jacket + beanie cut into a crown will work for Jughead, and a varsity jacket and an overdeveloped hero complex will make any guy into Archie Andrews.
- Holly Golightly: I’m not talking about the infamous black dress, pearls, cigarette, beehive shot from Breakfast At Tiffany’s here. I’m talking the over-sized men’s shirt, sleep mask, one-earring, hair down Holly Golightly. Hey, it’s a straight-shot to your bed after the party’s over, so win-win!
- Beyonce: Who hasn’t seen the APESHIT music video? Who isn’t intimidated by this power couple? Who doesn’t want to be them for a night? Luckily matching suit sets are a bit trend this fall, so you’re good to go if you have a pink one on hand. If not, it’s the perfect excuse to buy one.
- Lindsay Lohan: I can watch that video of her dancing in Mykonos over and over and over and over again. Throw on a slinky silver jumpsuit, have a few drinks, and bust out your worst moves. People will get it, I promise.
- Lady Gaga in A Star Is Born: Okay, I know you have some rock n roll-inspired pieces. If not, get yourself some leopard print jeans, a black tank top, and brimmed hat. Bonus points if you can actually sing Shallow on pitch. Extra double bonus points if you can give me Bradley Cooper’s real number.
- Westworld character: Just like the pantsuits, prairie chic has been popping up in closets across America. If you have a southern belle-esque skirt or dress (aka lots of layers, probably a print, maxi length, high-necked), throw that on. If you’re good at makeup, maybe add a few bullet-holes on your body (or just buy some stick-on wounds).